Friday, December 5, 2008

Jennifer's Health




Hello family and friends, I need to take the time to sit down and give everyone an update on Jennifer's health. I am so heavy hearted, and dont even know where to begin...except to express my love to my dear wife. The latest episode in this battle began two weeks ago this Sunday...Jennifer (like always) had a severe headache for 4 or 5 days. By Sunday morning it became so intense that we had to rush her to the University hospital's ER...after consulting with the neuro surgeon, he concluded that the headache was a result of preasure being built from the tumor in the middle ventricle of her brain. His suggestion, was that we let the preasure take it's course, which would prove fatal, but that it would a realatively peaceful way to die. We quickly concluded as a family that we weren't to that point yet, and that we could not in good conscience do nothing. After some persuasion the surgeon agreed to perform another surgery where he relieved the preasure by running a release tube from the brain (under the skin) and into the abdominal cavity. This has helped, but as he stated...it is only a bandage on the problem. We followed up with Huntsman cancer hospital, and Jennifer is back on the Methotrexate, which is the same drug she was on last summer. She responded almost immediately upon having the preasure relieved in her brain.

We are still very hopeful, the chemo she is on has proven before that it has the ability to help her. She has now been fighting for 3 years, it is our faith and hope that if it be according to God's will she will yet live another 3 years!!!

In this I have been reminded of the faith of the prophet Joseph Smith...so many times during his life did his future look bleak. So many times, he was consigned to die, but he feared not because he knew that his life was in the Lord's hands. So must we stand in holy places and demenstrate our faith that if God will yet allow her to live that we will with that time, demonstrate an increase in our willingness to serve and help those who also are suffering. I would like to invite everyone to keep Jen in your prayers, that they chemo will again prove to be effective. With much love
-Ryan

14 comments:

Randy said...

Walters Family,
Thanks for the update! We want you to know that you are in our prayer and that we LOVE you. Please do not hesitate to call if you need ANYTHING.

Jennie said...

Ryan,
Thank you for updating me. When I talked to Jen just 2 weeks ago she was so positive about her health. How amazingly strong she is to be so optimistic despite all the hard times! She's been such a great friend to me since 7th grade and I, too, pray we may have many more years of friendship. You are blessed to have such a fabulous wife and friend--Jen is wonderful. Know that Nick and I are praying for you all, too.

Erin said...

Thank you so much for updating us on Jen's situation. I've been thinking about you guys non-stop since Colton called with the latest. My heart just aches for what you are enduring (it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it). Please know that you have been and will continue to be in our prayers. Please send our love Jen's way. We know, as you know, that there is purpose in everything we experience in this life. Your faith is so strong and we know it will carry you through this. We all hope and pray for the best. We love you guys!

Erin said...

Please keep us posted.

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

Ryan & Jen,
Our hearts just ache for your family. Please know we'll be fasting & praying for you. We are just simply stunned by this latest turn.
Happy Birthday, Jen! We are all pulling for you & love you so much! (((((HUGS))))) from both Bryson & Tiff.

Unknown said...

Jen and Ryan,
I love you guys so much. You inspire me to live each day to its fullest and to have faith in God's plan. Thank you for being such a great example to me. Keep fighting Jen, and I hope to see you guys soon.

Elke said...

It's been a long time since the Walter's family were part of our Ward family! I was excited to find your blog and so, SO sad to come across your entry about Jen! It just makes my heart ache for Jen, you, and your families! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. We send our love and hope you don't mind us checking in again once in a while.

NIXON STUFF said...

THINKING OF YOU. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS.

Alicia said...

Jen, goodness! We love you so much and we pray for your health continually. What a pain and we are so sorry you have to go through this! We appreciate the update and we feel just like you...do not give up! Keep it up! There's hope! You are a survivor! We know that God hears our prayers and agree with everything Ryan said. We pray for you too, Ryan because we know this is so difficult. Keep it up! You are our example and we love you guys! No one can be the judge of you guys. There is no "point" that you have to get to at anytime. You just be you and you have our support and love 100%! Those docs work for you, not the other way around. Always be honest and let them know what you need and think and don't let them them presume to tell you what to do or think. You're the boss. They can just report to you what your choices are. Love you...can't wait to see you!

Alicia said...

I got carried away. I forgot to say that I Jen looks beautiful in this picture, but what cracks me up is Noah's expression. He's like, "People! Put me down so I can run around." We had so much fun with Noah last summer. I bet he is so big comparitively. I laugh everytime I think about trying to persuade him to eat lasagna and how he looked at me like, "you are so lame." Then finally, I gave him a simple slice of bread with peanut butter and he gobbled it right up and wanted more. Duh. I should have thought. I will remember that when my little one comes along.

Spicer Family said...

Ryan and Jen, Let me start by saying how sorry I am that you have had to endure such a trial in your lives. Then I would like to thank you for the inspiration you give me and I am sure many others with how you are handeling this trial. I have thought alot about what to say to you to inspire the faith needed for this since Randy called and updated me of the situation. After reading your latest entry I now know that there is nothing I can say that will increase your faith, what a testimony; all I can do is offer my help if and when you need it. Please Ryan never fear to contact me for anything, if I can help I will if I can't I will try to find someone who can may god bless you during this trial and throughout your lives. Joseph Spicer

Natalie said...

I debated about whether to leave you a comment or not as we don't know eachother (I'm a friend of Bryson & Tiffany) but I just wanted to offer some support. My husband battled cancer (Lymphoma) when we had been married just 18 months. I know all too well the hours and hours you spend in doctors offices and hospitals. I know exactly what Methotrexate is and how Jen will feel after taking it. It hits very close to home.
We're blessed that my husband's story has a happy ending and we just hit the 5 year mark on his remission. I know his positive attitude and the prayers offered on his behalf truly helped us make it through that time.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

DeJong Family said...

Walters,
We are so sorry to hear of this trial in your lives at this time. We will keep your family in our prayers.